Subject: Re: XFree86Config for iMac G3 Rev A?
To: Christer Jansson <christer@janssons.org>
From: Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/25/2007 01:23:10

Hello,

On Aug 24, 2007, at 17:18, Christer Jansson wrote:

> I'm trying to configure X for my old iMac G3 Rev A, and I just don't
> know where to turn for information...

google the list archive, your questions came up several times in the
past.

> I've found some examples but they're always for some newer model, and
> finding information on what HW is in the box without actually smashing
> it to pieces seems fairly hopeless.

Actually it's fairly easy, just read the OF device tree. Opening the
case isn't difficult either, all it takes are three screws on the
bottom, then you can just pull out the whole mainboard, disk etc.

> I know that I have an ATI Rage IIc and 2MB SGRAM; can I use the ATI
> Rage 128 driver?

No, since the Rage II is not a Rage 128 - it's a mach64 so the atimisc
driver is what you want ( or just the ati driver which will in turn
load the atimisc driver )

> Monitor data seems hard to come by... I can't find any.

They have been posted here and elsewhere. The weird thing about the
iMac G3's monitors is that they require a fixed horizontal frequency,
for the 1st generation that's 60kHz. Just put something like HorizSync
60 into your monitor section and X should pick a video mode that works
( 1024x768 at 75Hz for instance ).

> I would be grateful for any help here, if someone could send me a
> complete XFree86Config file that would be great, but if you've just
> got any hints about the hardware data I'd appreciate that, too.

The tricky part is the monitor - it won't sync on anything that's not
very close to 60kHz horizontal.
Everything else is pretty much the guts of a PowerBook G3 without ADB
stuffed into a monitor case ( or a severely castrated b&w PMac G3 if
you will ) - there's really nothing special inside. It can take up to
256Mb RAM - there are two memory slots on the CPU module ( one on top,
one at the bottom ) it takes PC100 SO-DIMMs up to 128MB. The disk is
bog-standard 3.5" IDE, the CDROM is a laptop drive - again, nothing
special, both can be upgraded with off-the-shelf hardware ( ok, the
cdrom might be tricky if you care about looks ). There's a slot for a
VRAM module on the mainboard, modules made for PowerMac G3 or any Mac
with similar graphics hardware ( probably the PMac 4400 ) or any ATI
Mach64 card should work, they're available up to 4MB, I found one on a
local fleamarket, along with a 333MHz CPU module. That would let you
use 1024x768 in 24bit - with the standard 2MB you'd get only 16bit in
that resolution.

have fun
Michael