Subject: iBook problems and solutions
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Masafumi Hotta <ma-500@rj8.so-net.ne.jp>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/19/2007 22:28:33
Hello,

This is what I've tried to work -current on clamshell iBook G3 since
last month.
I hope this report will help somebody.

Hardware:
Apple iBook 466MHz Special Edition Key Lime (FireWire) (M8245LL/A)

Problems:

1. X doesn't start on 3.1 Release
2. update to -current, GENERIC kernel doesn't boot
3. X server works, but screen is black

First of all, I installed 3.1 release with no problem, then tried to
use X.

# XFree86 -configure
# cp /root/XF86Config.new /etc/X11/XF86Config
# startx

But X didn't start, there was a familiar error message in
/var/log/XFree86.0.log.

Fatal server error:
xf86MapVidMem: could not mmap screen [s=20000,a=a0000] (Invalid
argument)

Every Macintosh except beige G3, X didn't start with this error.
PB2400,PB3400,G4 AGP graphics,G3 blue & white, those models left me
the same one.

I think update to -current is the best solution, then I got the
second problem.

Booting GENERIC kernel, it stoped almost finish to boot.

boot device: wd0
root on wd0a dumps on wd0b
root file system type: ffs
panic: cnopen: no console device
Stopped in pid 16.1 <init> at   netbsd:cpu_Debugger+0x10:   Lwz   r0,
r1, 0x14
db>

That's the problem of booting -current kernel and the solution is the

Thanks,
Masafumi Hotta