Subject: Re: radeonfb: black screen
To: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
From: Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/22/2007 03:33:28

Hello,

On Jul 21, 2007, at 20:45, Dave Huang wrote:

>> Hello,
>>
>> when trying a kernel with radeonfb on a cube with a radeon 7500
>> driving a
>> digital display (17in LCD ASD), the display turned black, with the LED
>> triple-blinking (indicating invalid video mode).
>>
>> Apart from the missing video output, the system was happy, one could
>> log in.
>
> I'm seeing what appears to be the same problem on my G4 Dual Proc,
> Radeon 32MB, and 17" Studio Display (CRT). Booting a kernel with
> radeonfb shows some output through OpenFirmware, then the screen goes
> black. As far as I know, the Studio Display doesn't give any
> indication of bad video mode, but I suspect that's what's happening.

Hmm, this is weird.

> radeonfb0: using static EDID

That means it's using monitor ID data supplied by the firmware.

> max_dotclock according to supported modes: 168750
> Vendor: [APP] Apple Computer
> Product: [9213] StudioDisplay

... and this looks right to me.

> Preferred mode: 1600x1200 @ 64Hz
> By the way, the two video modes it lists, 1280x1024 @ 75Hz and
> 1600x1200 @ 64Hz are correct, but the monitor supports many more
> standard modes that aren't listed. Also, the "Preferred mode:
> 1600x1200 @ 64Hz" certainly isn't preferred by _me_ :) That's too
> small and flickery; I prefer the 1280x1024@75Hz.

Fundamental misunderstanding - the preferred mode is what the monitor
reports as its favourite video mode.

>  Is there a way to manually select a video mode?

Not yet, we expect the mode that the monitor suggests to work :/

Could you please mail me pcictl dump output for both radeons?

And - any chance to try a different monitor? Either radeonfb fails to
setup this particular video mode properly or there's a problem with
this particular radeon variant.

have fun
Michael