Subject: Re: PowerMac 7300/200 boot problems (current)
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/20/2007 13:19:29

Hello,

On Jul 20, 2007, at 01:35, Sampson Stein wrote:

> +++ Michael Lorenz [freebsd] [19/07/07 23:36 -0400]:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> On Jul 19, 2007, at 23:06, Sampson Stein wrote:
>>
>>> +++ Michael Lorenz [freebsd] [19/07/07 14:26 -0400]:

>>> By /usr.src did you mean /usr/src?
>>
>> Yes. I'm fluent in typo :p
>>
>>> Also, should be unpacking these tarballs to /? like... `cd /; tar
>>> xpzf /path/to/tarballs/tarball.tgz; postinstall fix'
>>> correct?
>>
>> Exactly. the p option is important so file permissions and ownership
>> will be restored correctly - without that you'd end up with - for
>> instance - a /usr/bin/su without suid bit set which therefore
>> wouldn't work.
>>
>> have fun
>> Michael
>>
> Alright man, thanks a lot. I got it working now, except for a little
> hickup
> in the postinstall fix command, I ran it again and it tries to do the
> part it
> failed on, which I will attach a typescript of it to this email,

It complains about being unable to remove /usr/share/sendmail for some
reason ( sendmail was removed a while ago and replaced with postfix ) -
that error is harmless, just delete the directory by hand.

> as well as the output of 'ofctl -p'.

Eh, I see the mach64 but it doesn't have an OpenFirmware ROM it seems
so you won't be able to use it as console.

> I also have attached an intel ethernet card, that works like a charm.

Most PCI device drivers should Just Work, even though many of them have
never been used on macppc. You may want to pick up a cheap USB card
though, the one button Apple mice get annoying quickly in X.
So, you /may/ be able to use the mach64 in X - put this into your
kernel config:
options OFB_FAKE_VGA_FB
this lets X mmap the region usually occupied by the legacy VGA
framebuffer ( 0xa0000-0xbffff ) which is unused on macppc but some
stupid, PC-centric XFree86 drivers insist on playing with it even if it
has no effect.
options OFB_ALLOW_OTHERS
This will allow the Xserver to access other devices than the console
display through /dev/ttyE0. Obviously a monstrous security hole, that's
why it's not enabled by default.
Use the wsfb driver for the onboard fb and atimisc for the mach64.

have fun
Michael