Subject: Re: PowerMac 7300/200 boot problems (current)
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: Sampson Stein <scs@b1tt3r.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/19/2007 22:47:02
--r5Pyd7+fXNt84Ff3

+++ John Klos [freebsd] [20/07/07 00:03 +0000]:
>>>These machines make excellent, reliable servers. Make sure the=20
>>>motherboard battery is pretty new, or replace it with a battery holder=
=20
>>>with two AA or AAA batteries. With that, the machine will last forever.
>
>>The motherboard battery was dead, heh... but I notice it's one of those=
=20
>>3.6v
>>batteries like half the size of an AA batteries, but I do have one of tho=
se
>>disc-looking batteries, 3.6v with three prongs on the end, (Two neg, one
>>pos.. to my knowledge.) I should be good with that if I make a holder,
>>correct?
>
>Those batteries are usually rechargeable. Since the motherboard doesn't=20
>try to recharge the battery, that kind will die in a short amount of time=
=20
>(weeks or months). I use two AAs because they are cheap, easy to find, and=
=20
>anything above 2.5 volts is plenty. Also, with the amount of draw on them,=
=20
>the batteries will likely die from shelf life expiration before they'd die=
=20
>from the draw.
>
>John
Ok, I have my little battery jobbie made here... now, I can't lose the open
firmware again because to use something that can edit open firmware, from t=
he
Mac cd, I basically have to install it, install system disk, use it, then
reinstall netbsd. and I'm not wanting to do that.. unless theres some
terminal access inside it, I couldnt find it, I have no Mini-DIN serial
connectors, so if it goes back to serial i'm screwed, heh.. so basically...
can I remove this battery whilst the comp is on, and put the other one in? =
or
leave the computer plugged in at least while I do it, because once unplugge=
d,
with the dead battery.. the firmware dies pretty quick.. so I need to do th=
is
and keep my settings, is this possible?
--=20
Sampson C. Stein
b1tt3r -- You know.. like sugar?

Don't be irreplaceable, if you can't be replaced, you can't be promoted.

--r5Pyd7+fXNt84Ff3

--r5Pyd7+fXNt84Ff3--