Subject: Re: PowerMac 7300/200 boot problems (current)
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Sampson Stein <scs@b1tt3r.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/19/2007 12:25:19
--tKW2IUtsqtDRztdT

+++ Michael [freebsd] [19/07/07 13:13 -0400]:

>Hello,
>
>On Jul 19, 2007, at 12:43, Sampson Stein wrote:
>
>>+++ Michael [freebsd] [17/07/07 16:18 -0400]:

>>>ok, what child nodes does /bandit show?
>>>
>>>have fun
>>>Michael
>>>

>>Hey, sorry for the late response... work's been a bit nuts. I will=20
>>write down
>>what the child nodes of /bandit are,
>
>In a -current or 4.0 userland just run 'ofctl -p' and send me the=20
>output. This will dump the entire OF device tree including properties.
>
>>  but first I think I might want to get the world compiled, I'm=20
>>guessing it's possible that it's failing because I booted with the new=20
>>kernel first?
>
>Shouldn't matter.
>
>>Should I try it with the old one? And it
>>could also be possible because /usr/src and /usr/obj are mounted over=20
>>nfs.
>
>Shouldn't matter either, I'm doing that all the time so a crash of the=20
>development machine won't be a crash of the machine that holds my=20
>sources ;)
>
>>But either way, if you have any suggestions on the building, I can=20
>>make a
>>typescript of the build and attach it maybe? Or host it somewhere... =20
>>--
>
>Usually you can find builds on http://releng.netbsd.org - currently=20
>there's no macppc shapshot because the GENERIC_MP kernel fails to build=20
>but someone should fix that soon. You can use a 4.0 userland though, as=20
>long as you don't use threaded applications or have a -current=20
>libpthread.so - just make sure a -current kernel you want to use it=20
>with was built with options COMPAT_40.
>To build a userland do:
>build.sh -O /whatever/obj -D /whatever/dest -R /whatever/release -T=20
>/whatever/tools -m macppc tools
>( this will build compilers etc. that match your source tree and target=20
>architecture. Do ulimit before starting, building gcc for a powerpc=20
>target takes a LOT of memory and will exceed the default process size=20
>limit )
>build.sh -O /whatever/obj -D /whatever/dest -R /whatever/release -T=20
>/whatever/tools -m macppc distribution
>( this will build the userland. If you want X11 add -X /path/to/xsrc -x=20
>)
>build.sh -O /whatever/obj -D /whatever/dest -R /whatever/release -T=20
>/whatever/tools -m macppc sets
>( this will make tarballs from build.sh distribution, again for X11 add=20
>- -X /whatever/ -x )
>To build without cleaning up add -u
>You can do that on pretty much any UNIX box, I build most of my stuff=20
>either on a G3 Mac running NetBSD or a PC running FreeBSD, build.sh=20
>will take care of building the right crosscompilers. Trust me, you=20
>don't really want to build the complete userland on a 200MHz 604e. My=20
>333MHz/1MB G3 takes 8 hours for a userland without X, building tools=20
> [...]
Ok, thanks for the help, I do think somethings funky with NFS though, and if
I build it on another machine, it will be from the FreeBSD machine that is
exporting the directories to the mac, I have a feeling I might not be
exporting it with the right options.. or something, if you ever do any of
this over NFS, how does the line in your `/etc/exports' look?
--=20
Sampson C. Stein
b1tt3r -- You know.. like sugar?

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire of every organism
to live beyond its income.
		-- Samuel Butler, "Notebooks"

--tKW2IUtsqtDRztdT

--tKW2IUtsqtDRztdT--