Subject: Re: PowerMac 7300/200 boot problems (current)
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Michael <macallan1888@gmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/19/2007 13:13:01

Hello,

On Jul 19, 2007, at 12:43, Sampson Stein wrote:

> +++ Michael [freebsd] [17/07/07 16:18 -0400]:

>>> Ok, I got it back, heh... and the kernel works now, thanks for the
>>> fix...
>>> now one thing, I have an ati video card I believe to have open
>>> firmware on
>>> it, open firmware does not show the ATY,mach64 thing or whatever,
>>> but with
>>> the new kernel on boot, It's got a few lines about machfb0, and it
>>> says its
>>> an "ATI Technologies 3D Rage I/II" and stuff about initializing the
>>> DSP and
>>> such, so I'm guessing it works with it.... but should I still be
>>> able to get
>>> open firmware to point to it?
>>
>> ok, what child nodes does /bandit show?
>>
>> have fun
>> Michael
>>

> Hey, sorry for the late response... work's been a bit nuts. I will
> write down
> what the child nodes of /bandit are,

In a -current or 4.0 userland just run 'ofctl -p' and send me the
output. This will dump the entire OF device tree including properties.

>  but first I think I might want to get the world compiled, I'm
> guessing it's possible that it's failing because I booted with the new
> kernel first?

Shouldn't matter.

> Should I try it with the old one? And it
> could also be possible because /usr/src and /usr/obj are mounted over
> nfs.

Shouldn't matter either, I'm doing that all the time so a crash of the
development machine won't be a crash of the machine that holds my
sources ;)

> But either way, if you have any suggestions on the building, I can
> make a
> typescript of the build and attach it maybe? Or host it somewhere...
> --

Usually you can find builds on http://releng.netbsd.org - currently
there's no macppc shapshot because the GENERIC_MP kernel fails to build
but someone should fix that soon. You can use a 4.0 userland though, as
long as you don't use threaded applications or have a -current
libpthread.so - just make sure a -current kernel you want to use it
with was built with options COMPAT_40.
To build a userland do:
build.sh -O /whatever/obj -D /whatever/dest -R /whatever/release -T
/whatever/tools -m macppc tools
( this will build compilers etc. that match your source tree and target
architecture. Do ulimit before starting, building gcc for a powerpc
target takes a LOT of memory and will exceed the default process size
limit )
build.sh -O /whatever/obj -D /whatever/dest -R /whatever/release -T
/whatever/tools -m macppc distribution
( this will build the userland. If you want X11 add -X /path/to/xsrc -x
)
build.sh -O /whatever/obj -D /whatever/dest -R /whatever/release -T
/whatever/tools -m macppc sets
( this will make tarballs from build.sh distribution, again for X11 add
- -X /whatever/ -x )
To build without cleaning up add -u
You can do that on pretty much any UNIX box, I build most of my stuff
either on a G3 Mac running NetBSD or a PC running FreeBSD, build.sh
will take care of building the right crosscompilers. Trust me, you
don't really want to build the complete userland on a 200MHz 604e. My
333MHz/1MB G3 takes 8 hours for a userland without X, building tools
takes a little less time. On your machine it will take a LOT longer,
the G3's big&fast cache gives it a huge boost in workloads like this.

have fun
Michael