Subject: Re: tools build under 3.1
To: Andreas Moschos <a_moschos@yahoo.com>
From: Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/12/2007 09:03:59

Hello,

On Jul 12, 2007, at 06:37, Andreas Moschos wrote:

> Forwarding here after=A0a post to current-users.
> =A0
>> 2007/7/10, Andreas Moschos :
>> > i am using 3.1 macppc fresh install.
>> > The cvs code is old as a week back.
>> >
>> > When i tried to build the tools for a native build of current=20
>> genattrtab
>> > failed while allocating 250000 bytes after allocating 131MB.
>> > I had to:
>> >
>> > sysctl -w
>> > proc.proc_id_of_genattrtab.rlimit.datasize.soft=3D200000000
>> >
>> > in order to overcome the problem.At the moment i am building the=20
>> kernel just
>> > fine.
>> >
>> > I am wondering if anyone else has seen this.
>> >
>> > If this seems like a native (macppc) issue please let me know in=20
>> order to
>> > post there.
>> >

>> In my experience, this is actually (mac)ppc-specific. My cure (for =
3.1
>> as well as for current) is to either ulimit -d before
>> building or to increase DFLDSIZ from the default 128*1024*1024 in a
>> custom kernel.

As far as I can tell that's specific to building PowerPC compilers, for=20=

instance I can build sparc, shark and sgimips tools on my macppc boxes=20=

without running into this but I seem to remember similar trouble when=20
building macppc tools on sparc64.
The obvious workaround is ulimit.

>> Why not increase the default in
>> src/sys/arch/powerpc/include/oea|ibm4xx/vmparam.h to 256MB as is
>> already the case for i386?

At least for OEA we should probably do that.

have fun
Michael