Subject: Re: G4 widescreen powerbook
To: Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org>
From: Andreas Moschos <a_moschos@yahoo.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/12/2007 02:53:30
--0-169680784-1184234010=:32462

> it seems like a modeline issue to me but after using:
> ModeLine "1440x900" 96.2 1440 1504 1536 1760 900 903 906 912
> had the same results.
> iBookHacks is enabled.

  Well it was not a modeline issue.

Unfortunately the radeon driver heavily depends on reading pll
parameters from the firmware ROM which currently doesn't work on macppc
( not sure why - either the driver doesn't like OpenFirmware or it
doesn't find the ROM )
As an ugly workaround you can use the wsfb driver - that will be stuck
in whatever the console used and won't have acceleration but it should
at least work.

  using a section "Device" with wsfb did not work for me.Log file said:
  (II) wsfb: driver for wsdisplay framebuffer: wsfb
  (II) Primary Device is: PCI 00:10:0
  (EE) No devices detected

  Note that BusID is "PCI:0:16:0" for radeon in the config file
  Maybe a misconfiguration from me?

>  i thought of using a current kernel but i only get coredumps of XFree
> with black screens.

That's weird - where and how does it crash?

  Let me rephrase.It actuall lives me with a blank screen and i find a coredump of XFree.I did not try a remote session on this one.

  But it finally worked! I stopped the wsmoused from running and X started succesfully, note that it works with both the manually configured Mode and without it :)
  So it does understand the widescreen format.
  One minor issue is that at the areas where i can see garbage under wscons i see something like "snow" under X but if i use an xterm at that area and issue a top or a clear it goes away and comes back gradually after a few moments!

>  i also have issues with the output of the wscons using the curret
> kernel.The first 20 lines (counting from the top of the panel) are so
> meshed up i can see nothing (on all the screens).

Radeonfb has trouble on R3xx and newer, unfortunately nobody with
access to such hardware did any debugging work that I'm aware of so far
( all I have is the RV280 in my iBook G4 which works fine )

  if you think a debugging procedure could be started by asking me some data which i could get back to you please let me now.

Don't pick lemons.
See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
--0-169680784-1184234010=:32462

<hr size=1>Don't pick lemons.<br>
See all the <a href="http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html;_ylc=X3oDMTE0OGRsc3F2BF9TAzk3MTA3MDc2BHNlYwNtYWlsdGFncwRzbGsDbmV3Y2Fycw--">new 2007 cars</a> at <a href="http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html;_ylc=X3oDMTE0OGRsc3F2BF9TAzk3MTA3MDc2BHNlYwNtYWlsdGFncwRzbGsDbmV3Y2Fycw--">Yahoo! Autos.</a>
--0-169680784-1184234010=:32462--