Subject: NetBSD 4 won't boot on a xserve
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: DataZap <az@datazap.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/18/2007 22:05:57
Hi,

I googled a bit over this problem, but I still have not found a solution.
With any kernel the screen goes blank, with the exception of the NetBSD 4
installer kernel. It first complains that the interrupt is wrong, then
this error "pdcide0:0: bogus intr" scrolls accross my screen. This system
is an xserve (slot load) 1.33. So, I am wondering if there is anyone else
who has tried to install NetBSD4 on this system?

I did an install of NetBSD 2.0.2, because that is the cd that I just
happen to have, but I could not boot the 2.0.2 kernel, because of the fact
that it couldn't find the root device. I compiled a 2.1 kernel on my G3
with root at wd0a (2.1 is what is running on that computer) and installed
it. It booted! I thought at this point I had all my problems solved. I
thought would copy a 4.0 kernel (with root at wd0a) to / and upgrade to
4.0. But NetBSD 4.0 doesn't seem, to run on this machine.

Thanks,
Al