Subject: Re: PowerBook5,8 spontaneously powers down
To: Hilmar =?iso-8859-1?Q?B=F6hm?= <>
From: Aymeric Vincent <>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/28/2007 15:33:06

Hilmar Böhm <> writes:

> I`ve built a new kernel; from -current as of May 20th
> Symptoms: The kernel is booted. But after a few seconds, the screen
> gets dark.

I'm currently using a PowerBook5,8 and have managed to get NetBSD
working nicely on it, except X, but I'm compiling the modular xorg
server right now.

I don't have the sources at hand just now, but IIRC you need:

- to have the hard disk controller recognized (trivial)
- to have the gem ethernet recognized (trivial)
- to disable radeonfb and fwohci in your kernel config file or using
  "boot -c"

I'll post patches or commit them ASAP, but I didn't figure out what's
wrong with either radeonfb (same symptoms as you) or fwohci (panics
the kernel), so don't expect anything from me on this front.