Subject: Re: NetBSD 3.1 on B&W G3 freezes during booting at "Root device:"
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Nick Sheppard <nshep@attglobal.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/19/2007 21:21:41
Joachim Thiemann <joachim.thiemann <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I've put the kernel and the config file on my web server,
> https://fornost.dyndns.org/ (note the https since I don't want to open
> port 80 on my firewall)
>
> Guess which machine the kernel is hosted on  so be gentle please.
>
> Joe.

I've downloaded your kernel and it boots!  Thank you!

To get it into the G3, I copied it (netbsd.VINYAMAR) to a CD, booted the G3
using the installation kernel, copied netbsd.VINYAMAR to / alongside the
previous (freezing) netbsd, used chmod to change its permissions to the same as
the previous netbsd (I don't know if this is actually necessary), restarted, and
then booted the new kernel from OF with

   boot hd:4,\ofwboot.xcf hd:5,/netbsd.VINYAMAR

in other words exactly what I was doing before but with a different kernel
filename. It works!

The new kernel does behave a little differently from the installation kernel - I
had to do

   stty erase '^H'

to get the delete key to work properly (as suggested in INSTALL.html) but it has
cured the freezing problem.  Now I'm going to read your config file very
carefully ...

Thanks again,

Nick