Subject: Re: BOOTP/BSDP failed: no FILENAME specified open /netbsd
To: Joel CARNAT <joel@carnat.net>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/13/2007 19:59:50
I would do a quick tcpdump(8) on NFS and DHCLIENT to make sure that hte
root-path and/or boot-file paramters are making it to the client.

If so, are NFS "read" requests making it to the NFS Server?

Can you put another host on that same address statically and perform the
NFS mount and read that the client would?

Process of elimination.

~BAS

On Fri, 11 May 2007, Joel CARNAT wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to netboot my Mac mini.
> I've read and installed everything according to
> http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/intro.macppc.html
>
> The boot process transfers the ofwboot.xcf but the Mac does not seem to be
> able to get the kernel. I'm using the dhcpd options:
>
>        filename                        "ofwboot.xcf";
>        next-server                     10.0.0.254;
>        option                          root-path
> "/home/netboot/netbsd-head/macppc";
>
> My inetd.conf is set as follow:
> tftp            dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/libexec/tftpd
> tftpd -l -s /home/netboot
>
> In "/home/netboot" lies the "ofwboot.xcf", a symlink to
> "netbsd-head/macppc/netbsd" named "netbsd" and the "netbsd.gz" gzipped
> copy of the real netbsd file.
>
> Where is the kernel file supposed to be put ?
> In tftpd directory or in the dhcpd's root-path ?
>
> This is a -current from NetBSD-daily.
>
> TIA,
>   Jo

l8*
 	-lava (Brian A. Seklecki - Pittsburgh, PA, USA)
 	       http://www.spiritual-machines.org/

     "Guilty? Yeah. But he knows it. I mean, you're guilty.
     You just don't know it. So who's really in jail?"
     ~James Maynard Keenan