Subject: Re: [Cannot boot netbsd-3.0 on my powerbook 12'] It does boot!
To: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/11/2007 11:26:09
I'm trying it now...does this compell a rebuild of ofwboot, the kernel, or
both?  I'm trying to avoid the netbsd-4 build world ~BAS

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006, Chuck Silvers wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 02:33:42PM +0100, Antoine Reilles wrote:
>> After looking at the ofwinit routine in openbsd, I tried to add code to
>> save and restore return address, and now, i can boot a GENERIC macppc
>> kernel on my powerbook 6,8
>>
>> I don't exactly know why it was not working before, neither why exactly
>> it does not, but so far three different kernels with different config,
>> but the same tweak to boot without problem.
>> It is also surely related to the problem Olivier was experiencing
>> (http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2005/12/27/0001.html),
>> or davide
>> (http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2004/08/30/0010.html), and
>> also PR #22316.
>>
>> Here the patch i used.
>> I borrowed those lines from openbsd, so they use %r, since they
>> converted all their assembly to that.
>> Can someone who has a clue please look at it ?
>
> the openbsd version of this code saves and restores those caller-saved
> registers around calling some functions (savemmu and save_ofw_mapping).
> since ofwinit() in netbsd doesn't call any functions (outside the
> FIRMWORKSBUGS case, which does its own save-and-restore dance and
> is not enabled for macppc), saving and restoring those registers
> is not necessary.  if this change really is making a difference for you,
> then I would guess that it's because it changes the position of the
> instructions that come after your change.  if that's true, then adding
> the same number of nop instructions instead of the other instructions
> would work just as well.  could you give that a try?
>
> -Chuck

l8*
 	-lava (Brian A. Seklecki - Pittsburgh, PA, USA)
 	       http://www.spiritual-machines.org/

     "Guilty? Yeah. But he knows it. I mean, you're guilty.
     You just don't know it. So who's really in jail?"
     ~James Maynard Keenan