Subject: Re: No sound on Mac mini
To: Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org>
From: Joel CARNAT <joel@carnat.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/07/2007 09:50:51

>>>  I dug up the relevant changes to radeonfb and snapper, they should
>>> show up
>>>  in the 4.0 branch pretty soon. Anything else that's broken ( or
>>> semi-broken
>>>  ) in 4.0 but works in -current?
>>>

>> OK, I'll wait till tomorrow then cvs, compile a kernel and test ;
>> thanks.
>
> Might take longer - pullup requests are processed by the release
> engineering team so it depends on time, other pullup requests in the
> queue etc.

So I'll "cvs up" regularly and wait until I see modifications about
radeonfb and snapper ;-)

>> I didn't notice much yet... I notice that I can't see my mouse pointer
>> when I start a local X (with 4.99.x kernel and 4.0_x userland). The
>> mouse seem to work (because I can right-click the desktop and get the
>> app menu - in WindowMaker) but I just don't see the pointer itself.
>> I'll
>> check that better - maybe I just require "SWcursor" in XF86Config.
>
> This is odd - hardware cursor with an RV280 definitely works here ( my
> iBook has the same graphics chip )

I've seen such a thing once or twice before... Unfortunately, I can't
remember if it was on a Dell Optiplex (/i386) with Intel card, or on a
Ultra 10 with an ATI Rage XL...

>> Using XDM/XDCMP (from Windows Xming to NetBSD/macppc) ran the whole day
>> (with WindowMaker, firefox2, mutt and compiling other things). Another
>> thing that I noticed was that when I issued "shutdown -r now" when xdm
>> was started, the mini never rebooted. I got a white screen (on the
>> LCD),
>> lost my SSH session and the FAN started to blow a lot. I waited about
>> 30sec then turned it off with the rear power button. According to
>> /var/log/messages, the mini froze juste after saying "syslogd:
>> restart".
>> I think this was only with the 4.0_BETA2 kernel. I'll recheck that and
>> report if it's still there after the cvs update.
>
> Might have paniced. Please check if this happens without X running on
> the mini ( so you can see eventual panic messages ).

Well, as far as I tested it, looked like it only froze the reboot process
when xdm was started. But as the console don't work nice (yet), it could
be related.

I'll retest those two bugs when the pull-up will be there.

Regards,
   Jo