Subject: Re: Boot, cpu, testing
To: Loic Hoguin <essen@dev-extend.eu>
From: Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/19/2007 21:38:46

Hello,

On Mar 19, 2007, at 19:31, Loic Hoguin wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 21:14:06 +0100, Loic Hoguin <essen@dev-extend.eu>
> wrote:
>
>> Next when rebooting later I had a screen with (it seems) a wrong
>> h/vsync,
>> just after radeonfb is initialized. I couldn't really see much with
>> all
>> the flickering. Next reboot was OK though.
>>
>> I'm going to continue testing.
>
> The problem at boot occured with a current kernel, I didn't have this
> with
> the netbsd-4 (14 march) one (but that doesn't mean the problem wasn't
> there
> I guess).
>
> A few more details:
>
> - I can switch to other screens, however there's only a blank screen
> there.

That's normal - wscons.conf initializes 5 screens and starts gettys on
4 of them. The 5th is for X which is used only on PCs though. You can
just run another getty on it, just add a line to /etc/ttys for ttyE4

> - I can start X, but can't switch to other screens while in X.

Also normal. Now that we have halfway decent drivers there's no real
reason not to enable vt switching in and out of X at least with radeon,
mach64 and voodoo3. The reason it's disabled is this - many X drivers
do a very ad job cleaning up after themselves, apparently they assume
that something else will re-initialize VGA text mode so they don't need
to bother leaving the graphics chip as they found it. On macppc however
we don't use VGA text mode and not all drivers can switch video modes (
ofb for instance ). Switching would lead to a messed up console on
pretty much anything that's not a mach64.

> - When X closes, the display mode doesn't seem to be changed, and the
> result
>   is a garbled screen

hmm, you have an iBook with a mobility radeon 9200 if I remember
correctly? That should definitely work, at least it does on my iBook.
Radeonfb should re-initialize and redraw the console when X exits.

> - wsconsctl works for backlight, although I have the values reversed
> (0 is
>   brighter, 255 is off) - btw the display is off starting with a value
> of 220
>   (approximately, and not always the same value...)
>   - the values were in the reverse order with the netbsd4 kernel (0
> off)

Hmm, so I'll just add another special case here. Both do the right
thing on my iBook.

have fun
Michael