Subject: Installation problem
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Vittorio <vdemart1@tin.it>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/19/2007 16:36:05
I read carefully the installation instructions for netbsd 3.1 on macppc
and then tried to install the OS on an iMac G3 233MHz using a CD and
issuing at the OpenFirmware 3 prompt:

> boot cd:,\ofwboot.xcf netbsd.
macppc

Openfirmware 3 wined that netbsd.macppc was not found and
therefore made a request for the file to boot.
Well, after painful
hours of trial, re-reading of the instructions, etc I found that the
right command for that iMac was:

> boot cd:,\ofwboot.xcf
macppc\binary\kernel\netbsd-INSTALL.gz
(Attention- backward slash!!!)

Being this very basic and easy to understand for a beginner, I suggest
to add a sentence in the instructions telling that if macppc.netbsd is
not found and the mac asks for a file to boot one can type

directly
macppc\binary\kernel\netbsd-INSTALL.gz directly at the boot: request OR
from scratch

> boot cd:,\ofwboot.xcf macppc\binary\kernel\netbsd-
INSTALL.gz
(Again attention- backward slash!!!)

Ciao
Vittorio