Subject: Problems I'd like to have fixed in 4.0
To: netbsd-macppc macppc <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/15/2007 14:07:39

Hello,

there are a few problems that may or may not have been fixed in
- -current which I'd like to get rid of before 4.0 gets released. In no
particular order:

1. ADB on machines that don't have ADB
on those machines ( mainly newer powerbooks ) you'd see a panic or
power off right after adb at obio attaches. This shouldn't happen
anymore but since I don't have the right hardware I can't check myself.
If you have hardware with this problem please look for the via-pmu node
in the OpenFirmware device tree and tell me the names of its child
nodes. If there is an 'adb' child please include the content of the
'compatible' property of the root node. The current ADB code checks if
this node is present and if so it will look for ADB devices, there may
be machines that lie about this. ADB-less PowerMacs don't seem to have
this problem.

2. PCMCIA eject buttons on PowerBooks
they work fine on my PB3400 but there's an old PR about them not
working on a PowerBook G3 - can anyone test this? Or on any
PCMCIA-equipped PowerBook?

3. CardBus on PowerBooks
some firmware variants don't initialize bus numbers in CardBus bridges
which keeps cardbus* from attaching. I committed a fix that works on my
PB3400 but as far as I know it hasn't been tested anywhere else. So if
you have a PowerBook with card slots please check if CardBus cards work
properly. Note that CardBus cards won't fit into PB3400 and similar
machines even though they have CardBus bridges - I got an rtw card to
work in the lower slot anyway, all it took was a little plastic surgery
on the card. ( if anyone wants to get rid of an old PowerBook G3 -
namely a Wallstreet or PDQ ( see here
http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/models.html ) - there's unfinished
business regarding interrupt controller support which I can't do
without access to the actual hardware )

4. Apple onboard framebuffers
if you have a PowerMac 7xxx or 8xxx please check if a bleeding edge
- -current kernel produces a working graphical console. There's a PR
about ofb not working properly with /chaos/control framebuffers, I
committed a fix but the original poster never reported if the fix
worked or not. So please check, I don't have the hardware. ( or if you
want to send a machine with /chaos/control my way feel free to do so,
then I'd probably be able to add stuff like more than 8 bit colour in
X, higher resolutions etc. )

5. Media bays
hotplugging the CDROM media bay module in my PB3400 Just Works - what
about different modules on different machines? The ZIP module should
just work, don't bother with floppy modules - we still don't have a
driver for the floppy controller.

6. chipsfb on old PowerBooks
chipsfb works fine on my PB3400. It should also work on PB2400 and the
original PowerBook G3. The latter has a slightly newer revision of the
graphics chip, it /should/ work but again I don't have the hardware.

7. built-in Ethernet on PB3400
tlp at pci didn't work until recently, mainly because the firmware lies
about the tlp's IRQ number and NetBSD didn't support the 2nd interrupt
controller. Both has been fixed in -current and works fine with the
combined Ethernet and modem card but I couldn't test it on the Ethernet
only card. If you have such a machine please give it a try.

8. UMAX S900/J700 with E100 card
with
options UMAX_E100_HACK
in your kernel config the E100 card's ethernet portion should attach
and work. As far as I know this hasn't been tested on anything but my
own S900 so please check.

9. radeonfb
should just work with R2xx-based chips. For some reason using the
blitter to draw characters doesn't work on R3xx, a workaround is in
place but again I can't test it ( my iBook has an R280 ) and it isn't
even clear wether the problem is really R3xx-related at all. So please
test on any Radeon you can find, I'd like to know wether it works on
older radeons too. Not sure about PCIe cards, may or may not work.
It won't pick the right video mode on eMacs so far but I'm going to fix
that soon.

That's it for the time being, there's likely more I just can't think of
right now.

have fun
Michael