Subject: Re: A few macppc newbie questions
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/26/2007 15:04:18
Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com> wrote:

> The next question is how to mount all those drives, and if the power
> supply will handle it...

You can put three drives at the bottom of the case and one in the zip
compartment (as I mentioned in another mail, apple advises against it,
whatever).

> I still haven't figured out how to make the Mac boot NetBSD
> automatically, but I haven't spent much time on it either. Netbooting
> seems to be a relative snap...

Use the ISO image trick, described in Matt's old mail:

    http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2001/09/02/0002.html

or my own mail on the subject:

    http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2002/09/19/0001.html

Point OFW to your boot disk, e.g.:

    ok > setenv boot-device /pci/pci-bridge/scsi/disk:,\ofwboot.xcf

adjust the part before the colon to point to your drive

IDE disk connected to cmdide chip ("Ultra ATA" header on the
mainboard) is "/pci/pci-bridge/pci-ata/ata-4/disk" and if recall
correctly, there's an OFW alias "hd" for it, so you can abbreviate it
to "hd:,\ofwboot.xcf"

You can check ofw aliases with "devalias" ofw command.

To break into ofw prompt hold Command-Option-O-F at startup.

SY, Uwe
http://snark.ptc.spbu.ru/~uwe/          |       Ist zu Grunde gehen