Subject: Questions from a macppc newbie
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/08/2007 10:38:40
Hello all, I've been using NetBSD a while and I'm looking to get a
macppc machine to run NetBSD on for the first time.

I'm replacing a server I have at home that's running on an i386 box.
It is running samba, apache, postgresql, vncserver, pf, and some minor
apps.

I'm looking at used boxes on ebay, and it appears that a 400 or 450mhz
blue G3 seems like a pretty good deal, and plenty of machine to do the
jobs I need to do. Anything I should look out for? Is this not a good
idea?

Also, I'm considering getting a new mac laptop for personal use. I'll
be using OSX, but it would be a plus to be able to boot NetBSD. I know
the latest ones are Intel based. I kind of had my heart set on the 12"
powerbook from a while back for it's portability. Any reason why I
should not buy a ppc based machine (used, obviously)?

Thanks!

Andy