Subject: Re: netbsd-current and ibook g4: kernel freeze
To: Chris <humptymoo@gmail.com>
From: leon zadorin <leonleon77@gmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/06/2007 13:35:56
On 2/2/07, Chris <humptymoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> Firstly, thank you for pursuing this problem. I have one of the last
> generation of 12" PowerBooks, and it exhibits the same problem as your
> iBook. I also tried the patches posted by Antoine Reilles, but as he

Hi all,

would like to let you know that changes commited to cvs by Michael
about 23 hours ago have made netbsd-current bootable (thanks Michael
:-) on my iBook G4. I have just tested by uptating with cvs and doing
complete build:

1) cvs with the latest tree from anoncvs@...:/cvsroot

setenv CVSROOT anoncvs@...:/cvsroot
setenv CVS_RSH ssh
cd /usr/src
cvs -d $CVSROOT update -dPAC

2) build tools and kernel

mkdir /usr/obj
cd /usr/src
./build.sh tools kernel=GENERIC

3) copy netbsd kernel from kernel build dir (e.g.
/usr/src/sys/arch/macppc/compile/obj/GENERIC/netbsd ...) to the hfs
partition (hfs partition has only 2 files: ofwboot.xcf and netbsd)

4) reboot... and... the KERNEL BOOTS :-)

Chris - may be you can try the latest cvs as well for your latest
PowerBook issues...

Well as for me - on to:
# ./build.sh -U -D /usr/xxxbuild distribution
# ./build.sh -U -D /usr/xxxbuild install=/

The 2 questions from me at the moment:
1) do I need to be running the new kernel when executing those
scripts, or should it not matter (i don's think it will matter but it
don't hurt to ask...) ?
2) when my new (netbsd-curren) boots - it flashes the screen (from-to
blank and some garbage) a couple of times half way through the booting
process - it does not do it with the netbsd v3 release ... is this
screen flushing supposed to happen in current/newest kernels?

Kind regards
Leon Zadorin...