Subject: Re: Bummer - NetBSD 2.1 panic - si_refs - update
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@netbsd.org>
From: Donald Lee <MacPPC2@caution.icompute.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/30/2007 23:37:25
I've downloaded v 1.7 of softintr.c and built me a new kernel.
I'll boot it at the next convenient time.

I have two questions about the changes, tho.

One, at the end of the file, where the "${si}" gets put back in the
pool, the operation is protected by "splvm()/splx()" rather than
the msr ops that are now sprinkled in the code.  I thought the
reason for the msrs was because the IPLs were unreliable.  Why
are they OK here?

Two, it seems that this newer code does not provide for
multiple CPUs in the code.  I can see where if multiple CPUs got into
the code, we'd have a mess.  Is this covered elsewhere?
(BTW - the MP issue does not matter to me.  I only have one CPU)

Pardon my ignorance on this.  I'd like to understand the changes.

Thanks,

-dgl-