Subject: Re: netbsd-current and ibook g4: kernel freeze
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Antoine Reilles <Antoine.Reilles@loria.fr>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/30/2007 21:26:09
--qjNfmADvan18RZcF

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 09:07:30PM -0500, Michael Lorenz wrote:
> On Jan 29, 2007, at 20:48, leon zadorin wrote:
> >On 1/30/07, Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org> wrote:
> >>Try to build a smaller GENERIC kernel. 5MB is not much smaller than
> >>GENERIC, the kernel I use on my iBook is 3.3MB. For instance, you can
> >>leave out all PCI host bridges besides uninorth ( no grackle or bandit
> >>anywhere ), the onboard ethernet controller should be a gem - you can
> >>get rid of all the others. The audio chip is a snapper or something
> >>very similar, no need to have other audio drivers in your kernel.
> >cool, thanks - will try that next... in the meantime, have you read
> >the following patches (one uses "noop" another "save and restore from
> >openbsd" land in sys/arch/powerpc/oea/ofw_subr.S file ?
> >
> >http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2006/02/10/0000.html
> >
> >http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2006/03/25/0001.html
> >
> >I had a quick look at the current cvs tree of netbsd-current and they
> >were not there - so I guess someone looked at those and decided that
> >they were not needed...?
>=20
> I remember them, they didn't help when someone else had a similar=20
> problem on a PowerBook, or rather the discussion went nowhere. Feel=20
> free to apply them, if they work for you I'll commit them.
Those patches went nowhere because it was not clear why they where
working. They worked for me, with the -current of that time, but did not
work any more when i updated 1 month after that, which seems to confirm
that they were no real solution.
Since then i can't boot my powerbook

antoine

--qjNfmADvan18RZcF