Subject: Re: radeonfb, VTs and trackpad
To: Peter Bex <Peter.Bex@xs4all.nl>
From: Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/15/2007 17:22:36

Hello,

On Jan 15, 2007, at 16:30, Peter Bex wrote:

>>> That works for me on console.  When I am in X, I can't switch back
>>> to another VT.  Could this be related to the fact that
>>> Ctrl+Command+Backspace doesn't kill the X server?
>>
>> Ctrl-Alt-Backspace kills the Xserver.
>
> It doesn't on my system.  I tried to explicitly set the "DontZap"
> option
> to "off" (even though that's the default), but that didn't help.

Hmm, odd. Which keyboard driver do you use in X - 'keyboard' or 'kbd' ?

>> We don't support VT switching on non-PC platforms yet, mainly because
>> much of it relies on the console using VGA text mode which never
>> happens on a mac.
>
> Oh well, it doesn't matter that much.

We can easily support it on a handful chipsets or in cases where X
doesn't switch video modes - I had it working on a Sun with a Creator
graphics board. The problem on macppc is that not all console drivers (
notably ofb ) can switch video modes and many XFree86 drivers don't
properly clean up after themselves. You may have noticed that exiting X
with ofb results in a messed up console but radeonfb properly
re-initializes it. We'd have the same effects with VT switching.

>>> That's just stupid.  Why does Apple do this?  To make it hard for
>>> people
>>> to use a non-Apple OS on their hardware?
>>
>> I have no idea, really. In most cases the PMU node in the OF device
>> tree has childs indicating what kind of functionality is present (
>> like
>> ADB etc. ) but I didn't find such a thing for backlight control. My
>> PB3400c has no 'backlight' node but the PMU supports it, others have
>> it
>> elsewhere and don't - like the G4 iBooks. We might have to make up a
>> table mapping model names to PMU features.
>
> If I can help to make this table, just tell me how to get this
> information
> from my iBook.  (I'm not much of an OFW guru :P )

When in OpenFirmware do this:
dev /
.properties
and then tell me what the 'compatible' property contains, should be
something like 'PowerBook6,3' ( that's an iBook G4, yours will differ
slightly )
Or, if you're using -current or a recent 4.0 beta just mail me the
output of 'ofctl -p'.

have fun
Michael