Subject: Re: radeonfb, VTs and trackpad
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Bex <Peter.Bex@xs4all.nl>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/15/2007 22:30:47
--n/aVsWSeQ4JHkrmm

On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 04:14:44PM -0500, Michael wrote:
> > Thanks a lot!  This works perfect.
>=20
> Ok, I'll request pullup then.

Excellent.  I also saw your post about trackpad abstraction to
tech-kern.  Sounds like a great idea to me.

> > That works for me on console.  When I am in X, I can't switch back
> > to another VT.  Could this be related to the fact that
> > Ctrl+Command+Backspace doesn't kill the X server?
>=20
> Ctrl-Alt-Backspace kills the Xserver.

It doesn't on my system.  I tried to explicitly set the "DontZap" option
to "off" (even though that's the default), but that didn't help.

> We don't support VT switching on non-PC platforms yet, mainly because=20
> much of it relies on the console using VGA text mode which never=20
> happens on a mac.

Oh well, it doesn't matter that much.

> > That's just stupid.  Why does Apple do this?  To make it hard for=20
> > people
> > to use a non-Apple OS on their hardware?
>=20
> I have no idea, really. In most cases the PMU node in the OF device=20
> tree has childs indicating what kind of functionality is present ( like=
=20
> ADB etc. ) but I didn't find such a thing for backlight control. My=20
> PB3400c has no 'backlight' node but the PMU supports it, others have it=
=20
> elsewhere and don't - like the G4 iBooks. We might have to make up a=20
> table mapping model names to PMU features.

If I can help to make this table, just tell me how to get this information
from my iBook.  (I'm not much of an OFW guru :P )

> Even weirder is that PMUs used in newer desktop macs don't seem to=20
> power down on illegal commands either.

I'd consider that to be a good thing :)

Regards,
Peter