Subject: Re: Faster console with better font?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Emil Hessman <ceh@netbsd.se>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/12/2007 16:58:51
Zach Lowry wrote:

> What is the current way to have a better console on 3.1? Should I
> just change the font and rebuild a kernel, or do some wscons magic?
> Is there any way to have OF be the console, I like the tiny tiny
font > on my iBook.

Yes; rebuild the kernel with specific options enabled.

To speed up the console, add the following line to your kernel config:

  options  	  OFB_ENABLE_CACHE

Note:

OFB_ENABLE_CACHE speeds up the console on many machines, but should
not be enabled on some older machines, such as the rev. A-D iMacs.

For a smaller font, add the following line to your kernel config, such
as:

  options 	  FONT_SONY8x16
or
  options 	  FONT_BOLD8x16
... et cetera.

There is also an utility to load fonts on the fly, see wsfontload(8).
Although I do not know wether this is supported on NetBSD/macppc or
not, since the required pseudo device, wsfont, isn't enabled by
default in the GENERIC kernel and I've never gotten around to try it
out.

You might find interest in "How do I change the text display
colors?"[1], too.

Cheers,
   -- ceh

[1]: http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/wscons/index.html#colors