Subject: Re: XFree86 no worky on 3.1 on G3 iBook
To: Zach Lowry <zach@zachlowry.net>
From: Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/05/2007 23:35:51

Hello,

On Jan 5, 2007, at 23:23, Zach Lowry wrote:

> On Jan 5, 2007, at 1:45 PM, Michael Lorenz wrote:
>
>> Not really. Is backlight powered down as well? It almost looks like
>> the wrong port, or wrong sync. Something probably put the panel into
>> suspend.
>
> The backlight is indeed powered up, yes.

Ok.

>> Which driver did OpenBSD use? Wsfb by any chance?
>> The problem is very likely not NetBSD-specific anyway, it's XFree's
>> radeon driver.
>
> I'm not sure, and I hate to install it again to find out. I've spent
> some time with NetBSD now, which is what I prefer anyhow.

Hmm, the radeons have VERY fast blitters, I'm sure you'd notice the
difference immediately - if there was the tiniest trace of sluggishness
regarding graphics operations then you can be fairly sure it was wsfb.

>> What we have in xsrc/xorg is xorg with various security fixes and a
>> few local changes to make it work on macppc, sparc and sparc64.
>> You'll probably have to install a few packages ( expat, probably
>> fontconfig ), build and install the stuff in xsrc/dist and then use
>> the build.sh script in util/modular.
>
> In fact, I had to get a backrev of FreeType 2.1 in order to get it to
> build. Apparently there's some trouble with FreeType 2.2 and Xorg.

Xorg is /very/ picky about freetype. The freetype2 in xsrc/dist should
work with the Xserver in xsrc/xorg ( well, I'm still using it on a
sparcbook ) but probably not with any newer xorg release.

>> This will take ages to build ( thanks to gazillions of autoconf
>> scripts ) but it should give you a working xorg 7.0. Be warned
>> though, the radeon driver never really worked right on my iBook, it
>> did produce output but full of distortions. Not sync problems, more
>> like random noise as if something mucked with the memory clock -
>> didn't always happen though.
>> If you're using radeonfb you can easily get X to work using the wsfb
>> driver - it doesn't support any kind of acceleration but it should
>> use a hardware mouse cursor. Doing the same with ofb will work as
>> well but you'd get only 8bit colour and no hardware cursor.
>
> Yes, this works, as well as the Xmacppc server. I'd prefer a nicer
> display, of course. I may try radeonfb again, I did that earlier and I
> seem to recall I had no output after boot. I'll test it again as soon
> as xorg finishes building.

Hmm, all black or different trouble?
If radeonfb shows the same symptoms as xfree's radeon driver that might
be the same problem. When you try radeonfb again please mail me the
complete dmesg output, it /should/ complete booting and let you in via
ssh even if the driver produces no readable output. Currently radeonfb
spews a load of debug info, some of it might help finding out what's
going on.

have fun
Michael