Subject: Re: 7300 booting woes
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: Claudio Leite <leitec@tx0.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/13/2006 15:07:04
* Michael Lorenz (macallan@NetBSD.org) wrote:

> Hmm, random errors usually mean hardware trouble. Did you try to reseat
> all your memory modules, cables etc. ? OF is /very/ picky about SCSI
> errors btw. and usually can't be bothered to give anything approaching
> useful error messages ( everything is a DEFAULT CATCH or something like
> that, no matter if the cause of the problem is a failed SCSI
> transaction, RAM going bad, the loader crashing or whatever )

I haven't yet tried reseating anything as that would require major
disassembly of the case. MacOS 9 and Linux both worked fine, though.

I just tried zapping the PRAM and now I get a lot of
"RESETing SCSI bus" before and during the boot process. Sometimes it'll
appear thre or four times in a row, and I can hear the HD click each
time. I plugged in an older HD I know works and it also displayed a lot
of the reset messages.

I did get it to boot into NetBSD with the serial console -once-, but
only when the card was plugged in. Somehow, the video seems to affect
whether or not anything boots. Here is the error:

[...]
atabus1 at cmdideo0 channel 1
ofb0 at pci0 dev 15 function 0: vendor 0x1002 product 0x4758
trap: pid 0.1 (swapper): kernel PGM trap @ 0 (SRR1=0x81032)
panic: trap
Stopped in pid 0.1 (swapper) at netbsd:cpu_Debugger+0x10        lwz
r0, r1, 0
x14
db>

Thanks.