Subject: Re: 7300 booting woes
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: Claudio Leite <leitec@tx0.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/13/2006 13:14:37
* John Klos (john@ziaspace.com) wrote:
> > Half of the time, it hangs while loading the stage 2 booter, somewhere
> > in the numbers "01234.....," or after displaying the NetBSD booter
> > header, and hanging with a "/" of the spinning cursor. Other times, it
> > just doesn't start the stage 2, saying "no bootable HFS partition" or
> > "DEFAULT CATCH."
>
> If it's intermittent, it could be due to the drive not spinning up quickly
> enough. There are nvram commands which tell the boot process to wait for
> several seconds - try one of them.

I've tried with a 1 sec. catch command. I'll try increasing it more, and
see what happens. But that may not be it, since it doesn't boot after a
reboot either (though it worked before).

> Are you using video for NetBSD in place of the default serial console?

Everytime I tried to boot over the serial console it failed. When NetBSD
actually loaded, it would crash after detecting ofb*, even after I
removed the PCI video card.

-Claudio