Subject: Re: Testers needed for upcoming 3.1 release
To: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
From: Michael <macallan1888@gmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/28/2006 13:09:44

Hello,

On Sep 26, 2006, at 19:27, David Young wrote:

> In machdep, I see variables cachelinesize, timebase, printfataltraps,
> altivec, model, and powersave, of which only machdep.powersave=1 looks
> promising.

That's for putting the CPU into power saving mode when idle. Works
wonders on my G3 but doesn't do a lot on my iBook - I guess the latter
has a few more heat sources in a smaller case.

>> If not please have a look at your OF device tree, there should be a
>> 'fan' node somewhere, its 'compatible' property should tell us what
>> kind of temperature sensor / fan controller you have ( likely some
>> Analog Devices i2c part, data sheets should be available and writing a
>> driver should be more or less trivial )
>
> I cannot find the 'fan' node.  I have probably missed something.
> See attached dmesg, ofdump, and ofdump -p output.  I am using ofdump
> from <http://mickey.usask.ca/dyoung/ofdump.c>.  BTW, I tried Matt
> Thomas'
> ofdump2.c; it yields the same output.

Can't find a node for /any/ fan controller. So they apparently didn't
bother adding one which makes it impossible to autodetect them right
away. We can however still use the <driver> at iic? addr <whatever>
attachment and cross fingers. This isn't exactly well tested though and
rather error-prone since i2c-addresses aren't unique ( since there are
only 7 resp. 10 significant bits ) so just tossing all possible
<whatever> at iic? into the kernel config may or may not work since not
all i2c devices can be properly detected ( we can detect /something/ in
those cases but can't really make sure it is exactly what we're looking
for, so when adding <something> at iic? you better know what's there ).
The current code doesn't know how to handle the i2c-bus at the PMU -
I'm going to change that though. I already have half-assed support for
iic* at cuda?. The other problem is that there are so many i2c-buses in
UniNorth-based *Books ( two ki2c which can each control at least two
buses, then i2c at pmu... )

Maybe I should add a debug option to the iic code which makes it scan
the bus when attaching and report all addresses where something
responds.

> BTW, is there specific support for the ATI Rage Mobility framebuffer?
> Just curious.  ofb is tolerable with OFB_ENABLE_CACHE.

There is no unified 'ATI Rage Mobility' driver. ATI used this name for
both mach64 and Rage 128 based chipsets, machfb supports some of the
mach64-based ones ( notable not the Rage LT ) but there is currently no
specific kernel support for anything Rage 128 based. Shouldn't be hard
to do, what's missing is - as usual - the right hardware in the right
hands.
You have a Rage Mobility M3 which is a Rage 128.

have fun
Michael