Subject: Re: Console drivers
To: Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org>
From: dieter roelants <dieter.NetBSD@pandora.be>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/26/2006 11:44:42
On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 00:55:18 -0500
Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org> wrote:

> Hello,

Hi Michael,

> so, finally the missing pieces to allow using accelerated display
> drivers as console on macppc are in place. Please try them and report
> success or failure.

I have a current running on my iMac which has a
machfb0 at pci0 dev 18 function 0: ATI Technologies 3D Rage Pro (rev. 0x5c)
machfb0: 16 MB aperture at 0x81000000, 4 KB registers at 0x80881000
machfb0: 6144 KB SGRAM 98.924 MHz, maximum RAMDAC clock 230 MHz
mach64_get_mode: 1024 5152 5248 1312 768 769 772 800
machfb0: initial resolution 1024x768 at 8 bpp

If I first boot MacOS 9 and then reboot to NetBSD everything works fine
and the console is very fast. Nice :)
If I do a cold boot in NetBSD, the screen goes black (just as with
Marco) the moment machfb attaches. So it seems like something is not
initialized properly? This is not new, though. I already had to boot
MacOS first to get X working properly (else the display would be
garbled).

Anything I should try?

Kind regards
dieter

PS. Something completely different; could you add rum to GENERIC,
please? It's already in i386 GENERIC, but works just fine on macppc too.