Subject: Re: Testers needed with Beige G3
To: Risto Suominen <Risto.Suominen@gmail.com>
From: Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/16/2006 18:16:31

Hello,

On Nov 16, 2006, at 07:53, Risto Suominen wrote:

> I tried to boot your kernel from a CD on my old Beige G3 (OF 2.0f1):
>
> It writes one page green-on-white, then starts a new page: 'wsdisplay0
> at
> machfb0...' (I guess this is as expected)

Yes, that's when machfb takes over and starts using the blitter for all
console output. The speedup should be very noticeable.

> Then a few lines, and a last line, ending with: '...scsibus0: waiting
> 2 seconds
> for devices to settle...'
>
> The mesh driver seems to be hanging. None of the internal (ide-)drives
> needs it,
> and there is nothing on the external scsi-connector.

It's not necessarily the mesh driver - might just as well be IDE or ADB.

> I managed to get over this hang, on a 3.0 kernel, by disabling mesh.
> But then it said: 'disabling stuck interrupt 14', and trying to read
> the CD just resulted in 'lost interrupt'
> errors. You said you made some changes to the ide-DMA handling, but my
> problem
> is not just DMA related, as I have forced the CD into PIO mode (flags
> 0x0ff0).
> Still, I would be interested to continue testing, if you could build a
> kernel
> without mesh.

Check your IDE cables - the Heathrow IDE channels are notoriously
picky. I had IDE DMA disabled for a while for the same reason as you
did - DMA just resulted in a flood of IDE errors.
Turned out after changing both IDE cables and the CDROM drive IDE DMA
works fine here ( I have a 1st generation Beige G3, also OF 2.0f1 )
IRQ 14 is the 2nd IDE channel, mesh uses IRQ 12 so I guess mesh is
innocent here.
I still get one lost interrupt message but it seems to be harmless and
it's only exactly one right on startup.
My changes to the Old World interrupt handling are in -current, not in
3.x, and only add support for additional interrupt controllers like
those found in some PowerBooks.

have fun
Michael