Subject: Re: Quick question regarding the GENERIC kernel
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: John <jhu@grex.cyberspace.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/07/2006 21:49:02
Hi,

I just read your message below from a prior month. Has this been fixed in
the r128 driver yet? If not, I actually have the urge to #ifdef out those
instances myself.

Regards,
John

That's a stupid XFree driver trying the legacy VGA framebuffer. There's
a workaround in -current which simply hands processes doing this the
first 128kB of the framebuffer when 'option OFB_FAKE_VGA_FB' is in the
kernel config.
Fixing this in XFree's r128 driver should be trivial ( just #ifdef all
references to the vgahw module, like in radeon and mach64 ) but I don't
have the hardware to test it. The vgahw module is only used to save and
restore VGA textmode information which is patently useless on a mac.

have fun
Michael