Subject: Re: Power Macintosh 9500 / 132
To: Marcos Onisto <mlonisto@gmail.com>
From: Chris Tribo <ctribo@dtcc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/27/2006 22:22:08
On Oct 27, 2006, at 3:29 PM, Marcos Onisto wrote:

> Another doubt is about the files that there are on the Cd-rom, for
> exemplo the file afwboot.xcf and netbsd.macppc. There aren't the file
> afwboot.xcf and netbsd.macppc on the ( / ) structure of the Cd-rom,
> but i have put in it as arguments on the boot command.

Which exact ISO are you using and what is/are the boot commands you
are trying? It should be something like boot scsi-int/
sd@3:0,OFWBOOT.XCF;1 (or scsi instead of scsi-int if you're using the
secondary/external bus, replace 3 with the SCSI ID of the drive)

> When i use the dir command i always have some errors about that not
> possible open my devices, i follow exactly what the documentation say,
> but i have problems. I never got to use this command and i don't what
> is wrong.

The partition number may not be zero depending on which ISO, or it
may not boot at all due to a bug in the ISO that prevents booting on
old world machines.

> When i try to boot for floppy disks i have another problem, the first
> floppy was good without errors, my box eject this and order to the
> second one. When i put in the second, the floppy unit begin to read it
> and only stop without show me a error. I already try four floppy
> disks, but i didn't have a successful.

You may need to format the disks in a Mac floppy drive before they
are bootable. The already picky floppy drives don't have any sort of
error handling in Open-Firmware, if there is any error at all, it
will fail. Or it could be a bug that we just haven't seen yet. What's
the dir command you are using?

> I don't know exactly what does it mean " May need to disconnect the
> internal cdrom drive to boot from any device". This part is about my
> box ( 9500 ) on the page Model Support ( Reason / Remarks ). It mean
> that a have to disconnect my Cd-rom, if i do it how can i do one boot
> with my Cd-rom ?

This is probably due to poor SCSI termination or term-power problems.
I'm fairly certain others have booted these machines by CD-ROM
before. Check the drive jumpers and settings, make sure only one
drive is providing termination power to bus and that you have
otherwise properly appeased the god(s) of SCSI. I should also point
out that with hardware this old, it is quite possible that your CD-
ROM/floppy drive/machine/memory is bad.