Subject: Re: Testers needed for upcoming 3.1 release
To: netbsd-macppc macppc <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/25/2006 19:04:31
On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 03:47:08PM -0400, Michael Lorenz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> please download the release candidate iso image here
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-3-1-RC2/200609031430Z/iso/
> and test it ( does it boot, does the installer work properly if you
> happen to have a partition you can wipe, etc. )
> Right now I have only an iBook G4 ( works fine ) and a beige G3 ( known
> to be troublesome ) to test so please try it on different hardware and
> report failures, successes and so on.

I just booted the RC3 ISO on my 450 MHz Powerbook G4.  I've *never*
been able to boot a NetBSD CD-ROM on this machine before, so clearly
NetBSD 3.1 is doing something right!  Both wi0 and gem0 were detected.

Something else that 3.1 gets right (kind of) is that I can close the lid
without crashing NetBSD.  Presumably power management will still not work?
That worries me a little, because I hear the Powerbook G4 will "melt down"
if it runs too long with the lid closed.

sysinst failed the fsck_ffs step on /dev/wd0a (good, since that is my
Mac OS X swap), but it proceeded to the installboot stage (scary!).

I'm very pleased with the improved level of support for my old Powerbook.

I have some Mac clones I will try out, soon.

Dave