Subject: Re: PS/2 keyboard and open firmware console?
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: Chris Tribo <ctribo@dtcc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/25/2006 00:04:36
Radek Kujawa wrote:

> How about Sun USB keyboards? I have B&W G3 and Sun USB Type 6 keyboard.
> It doesn't work with OpenFirmware (I can't enter OF at all with this
> keyboard). However, it does work perfectly with this G3 once operating
> system is loaded (I tested it under OS X and NetBSD).

I believe the Type 6 predates USB HID boot protocol support, or that
there was something weird about the endpoint setup that needed a
software hack.

> Fortunately one of my co-workers had generic PeCee USB keyboard, and I
> used it to enter OF - it worked fine.

Yeah, I bought a $60 Logitech pro keyboard that said "MacOS X
compatible" on the box only to find out that it doesn't support the HID
boot protocol, so I couldn't get into OF or use any snag keys with it, I
had to dig out the OEM apple USB keyboard, or a Dell KB. I asked
Logitech about it and they were like "Yep we know, and we have no plans
to fix it or support it in the future either." I bet if I had purchased
a Microsoft keyboard or any other brand without "MacOS X compatible" on
the box, it would have worked. </rant>

> So I wonder, what makes Sun USB keyboard incompatible with Apple
> OpenFirmware?

I don't think it's that it's incompatible, just doesn't have USB HID BP
support, or some kind of bug in the device descriptor(s) that makes the
USB shim in OF not work.