Subject: Re: PRs
To: Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org>
From: Johan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Wall=E9n?= <johan.wallen+lists@tkk.fi>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/23/2006 23:39:12
Hello,

Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org> writes:

> And what about this:
> http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=32196
> Synopsis:       'shutdown -h now' causes a panic
> Issuing 'shutdown -h now' on an iBook (early 2004) sometimes triggers a
> panic
>
> I have an early 2004 iBook G4 - never seen this panic. Can anyone
> reproduce it?

I have a PowerBook G4 from May 2005, and `shutdown -h now' has never
worked on it (at least not on 3.99.3 (which was the first version I
installed), the following few versions, and not on 4.99.2).  If I
remember correctly, I have never gotten a panic at shutdown, but it
seems to always lock up (on 4.99.2) or enter an infinite loop where
the kernel output some junk on the console (on 3.99.something -- I do
not remember the line it output or the kernel version, and it has
never happened on newer kernels) sometime after the filesystems have
been synchronised/unmounted.

But `shutdown -p now' and `shutdown -r now' have always worked fine.

Since a very similar PR had been filed, and `shutdown -{p,r} now' is
usually what I want do do, I never thought that the problem was worth
(re)reporting.

-- Johan