Subject: boot issue
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: None <sub0@speakeasy.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/11/2006 04:37:57
Hi,

I've spent all day trying to solve my issue but no luck. I will try to ex=
plain my environment and forgive me if I leave something out by mistake.

I have a power mac G4 (Digital Audio). It's in the supported models list.=
 I partitioned my only internal drive and used pdisk to change the partit=
ion map. I created Apple_UNIX_DVR2 for root, swap and usr. I double check=
ed the partitions after I wrote to the map. Everything looks good.
The firmware is 3. I set the auto-boot to false. I went into OF and typed=
 some command to check the devices.

I tried 2 solutions:
1. Boot from IDE with HFS partition. I dropped the binary ofwboot.xcf and=
 netbsd-GENERIC_MD.gz in the HFS partition (which is the partition where =
I keep OS X). I run this command:
0 > boot hd:3,\ofwboot.xcf netbsd-GENERIC_MD.gz
The boot process starts but it stops at this point (I copied the lines be=
low from the web but in my case at this point, after the 3rd line, the sc=
reen goes black and nothing happens anymore). I checked the brightness bu=
t it's set to max:

>> NetBSD/macppc OpenFirmware Boot, Revision 1.3
>> (tsubai@mint.iri.co.jp, Sun Nov 26 01:41:27 JST 2000)
1701508+177748 [100+68176+55886]=3D0x1e9468

2. Boot from cd rom:
boot cd:,\ofwboot.xcf netbsd.macppc

But again the monitor went black at the same point (see above)

I think I'm doing everything correctly. The only doubt I have is about th=
e part after creating the file systems folowing the partitioning notes (h=
ttp://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/partitioning.html#disk-utility). After =
I created them I suppose to mount them but I'm not sure I'm doing things =
correctly. Now I don't know if this is causing the issue with the boot.

Any help would be very appreciated,
thanks,
massimo