Subject: Re: installboot problems
To: None <john@ziaspace.com>
From: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/08/2006 08:00:25
john@ziaspace.com wrote:

> People reading the installboot man page might look at some of
> the other examples and try to run installboot on /dev/sd0c instead of
> sd0a, for instance, and end up with problems.

That is a hack. Writing raw data into a mounted filesystem is not
allowed in many case, so using sd0c to write sd0a (which may have
the same offset with sd0c) does a trick. If the target filesystem
is not mounted (like during installation), sd0a should work.

> What's also not clear from the man page is that the second stage
> bootloader needs to be placed in the filesystem manually, and that the
> path for theat file is relative to the filesystem. I'll iron that out a
> little bit.

installboot(8) looks okay for me:

>>     Perform the following steps to make a file system bootable:
>>
>>     1.   Copy the secondary bootstrap (usually /usr/mdec/boot.MACHINE or
>>          /usr/mdec/boot) to the root directory of the target file system.
>>     2.   Use installboot to install the primary bootstrap program
 :

But you could fix it anyway...

> Now for the next question - does the first stage bootloader (bootxx) from
> NetBSD 4 work on OF 1 and 2? Has anyone had any success with it?

Both bootxx and ofwboot from 4.99.1 work on my Apus.
---
Izumi Tsutsui