Subject: installboot problems
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/07/2006 13:04:25
Hi,

It is just now occuring to me that our documentation with regards to
installboot sucks. Well, macppc documentation on a whole is a bit of a
mess, what with everything inlined and no common examples.

So I'd like to ask if some people can clarify this for me, as it's been
a while since I've had to deal with it.

I'm clear about the elf versus xcf stuff where it concerns OF 3 and
higher, but with < 3, there are no examples of a usable installboot
anywhere. People reading the installboot man page might look at some of
the other examples and try to run installboot on /dev/sd0c instead of
sd0a, for instance, and end up with problems.

What's also not clear from the man page is that the second stage
bootloader needs to be placed in the filesystem manually, and that the
path for theat file is relative to the filesystem. I'll iron that out a
little bit.

Now for the next question - does the first stage bootloader (bootxx) from
NetBSD 4 work on OF 1 and 2? Has anyone had any success with it?

Thanks,
John Klos
--
Today is the day that my destiny calls me!
   Meowth