Subject: Re: PowerBook 2400 OF HD Boot Syntax
To: Bryan Vyhmeister <netbsd@bsdjournal.net>
From: Michael <macallan1888@gmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/06/2006 13:58:13

Hello,

On Sep 6, 2006, at 04:43, Bryan Vyhmeister wrote:

> On Sep 6, 2006, at 12:09 AM, Michael Lorenz wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> On Sep 5, 2006, at 23:22, Bryan Vyhmeister wrote:
>>
>>> This is driving me crazy! I got NetBSD/macppc 3.0.1 installed using
>>> the boot floppies and the CD on my PowerBook 2400. After the
>>> installation completed, I rebooted and now I am trying to figure out
>>> what the correct Open Firmware boot-file syntax is. I figured out
>>> that the correct boot-device is:
>>>
>>> /bandit/ohare/ata/ata-disk@0:0
>>
>> That looks wrong - what kind of error message do you get?
>
> It looks wrong but it is correct. Using the devalias is easier. I
> figured out the devalias command just after I posted this. I remember
> figuring all this out three years ago or so but I didn't keep good
> notes. I could kick myself for that.
>
> The correct boot-device string for the PowerBook 2400 is:
>
> ata-int/ata-disk@0:0
>
> That boots into the partition zero bootloader. It starts loading stage
> two but it cannot find the kernel. It says it is trying to load
> /NETBSD but the error message says device not configured. Maybe this
> is a problem with NetBSD 3.0.1. I was thinking about trying -current
> tomorrow or possibly attempting to go back to 2.1 or even 1.6.

hmm, loading /NETBSD is wrong - should be just netbsd.

Ok, try this:
setenv boot-device ata-int/ata-disk@0:0
setenv boot-file netbsd
reset-all

and then just
boot

when the boot loader asks for a kernel name then something went wrong -
it should try 'netbsd' first. Better check if the kernel is there at
all.

have fun
Michael