Subject: Re: PowerBook 2400 OF HD Boot Syntax
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Bryan Vyhmeister <netbsd@bsdjournal.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/06/2006 01:43:30
On Sep 6, 2006, at 12:09 AM, Michael Lorenz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Sep 5, 2006, at 23:22, Bryan Vyhmeister wrote:
>
>> This is driving me crazy! I got NetBSD/macppc 3.0.1 installed
>> using the boot floppies and the CD on my PowerBook 2400. After the
>> installation completed, I rebooted and now I am trying to figure
>> out what the correct Open Firmware boot-file syntax is. I figured
>> out that the correct boot-device is:
>>
>> /bandit/ohare/ata/ata-disk@0:0
>
> That looks wrong - what kind of error message do you get?

It looks wrong but it is correct. Using the devalias is easier. I
figured out the devalias command just after I posted this. I remember
figuring all this out three years ago or so but I didn't keep good
notes. I could kick myself for that.

The correct boot-device string for the PowerBook 2400 is:

ata-int/ata-disk@0:0

That boots into the partition zero bootloader. It starts loading
stage two but it cannot find the kernel. It says it is trying to
load /NETBSD but the error message says device not configured. Maybe
this is a problem with NetBSD 3.0.1. I was thinking about trying -
current tomorrow or possibly attempting to go back to 2.1 or even 1.6.

Bryan