Subject: Re: Testers needed for upcoming 3.1 release
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: MLS <mls@hiro-consult.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/06/2006 03:06:25
Hi, Michael!

I'm a NetBSD user for several years with pmax, vax and i386 ports, but
rather new to the mappc-port..
I have got a Powerbook5,8  bought in Nov. 2005 (with 15" display and the
DVD/CD-ROM Superdrive).

I've downloaded the RC2-iso image and burned it onto a CD-ROM. Is it
correct, that the CD is not bootable?
So I copied the installation kernel file an the correspondig
kernel-symbols file to the root of the "Mcintosh-HD" partition, which is
the first HPFS+ partition (where I boot MAC OS X from).
I renamed the (corresponding, decompressed) files to "netbsd" and
"netbsd.sym" and also copied the ofwboot.xcf from the CD-ROm to the same
location

Then I booted into the OFW an did a

 > boot hd:,ofwboot.xcf  netbsd

The kernel shows the hardware devices, it recognizes.
last devices, I can  see is:

usb2 at ...
ubusb2: ...
here the kernel output stops for a second or two, then

obio2 at pci1 dev2 ....
zsc0 at obio0 offset...
zstty0 at zsc0 ....
zstty0 at zsc0 ....
zstty1 at zsc0 ....
i2s at obio0 ,,,,

After this last line the system is switch off  (power off) !!!

I had this also with rel. 3.0 and 3.01.
Is this a known problem? I saw a short comment on this in the macppc
list early this year, but no solution.

Result is: Installtaion is impossible!

I'd be really glad , if this problem could be fixed. I can help on it in
any way, pleae let me know!

Best regards. / Hilmar.