Subject: Re: Testers needed for upcoming 3.1 release
To: MLS <mls@hiro-consult.de>
From: Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/05/2006 20:49:32

Hello,

On Sep 5, 2006, at 21:06, MLS wrote:

> I have got a Powerbook5,8  bought in Nov. 2005 (with 15" display and
> the DVD/CD-ROM Superdrive).
>
> I've downloaded the RC2-iso image and burned it onto a CD-ROM. Is it
> correct, that the CD is not bootable?

The CD is bootable, just not in the way MacOS expects it. Bootable as
in there's something on it that OpenFirmware can run to load an
operating system.

> So I copied the installation kernel file an the correspondig
> kernel-symbols file to the root of the "Mcintosh-HD" partition, which
> is the first HPFS+ partition (where I boot MAC OS X from).
> I renamed the (corresponding, decompressed) files to "netbsd" and
> "netbsd.sym" and also copied the ofwboot.xcf from the CD-ROm to the
> same location
>
> Then I booted into the OFW an did a
> > boot hd:,ofwboot.xcf  netbsd

'boot cd:,ofwboot.xcf' should have done the trick - what happens when
you try that? I know that the firmware used in 1st generation iMacs
won't load ofwboot.xcf from a CD but it works fine when run from a
harddisk. Yes, Apple OF is screwy.

> The kernel shows the hardware devices, it recognizes.
> obio2 at pci1 dev2 ....
> zsc0 at obio0 offset...
> zstty0 at zsc0 ....
> zstty0 at zsc0 ....
> zstty1 at zsc0 ....
> i2s at obio0 ,,,,
>
> After this last line the system is switch off  (power off) !!!

Ouch. Please file a PR about that with as much from the kernel's output
as possible.

> I had this also with rel. 3.0 and 3.01.
> Is this a known problem? I saw a short comment on this in the macppc
> list early this year, but no solution.

Similar problems are known. There's code in the ADB driver that's
supposed to change display brightness when you press the res. keys
which is known to do Bad Things on some hardware. Do you have any other
macppc hardware to build a different kernel?
Maybe we should make this code optional, seems to break more and more
machines recently.

> I'd be really glad , if this problem could be fixed. I can help on it
> in any way, pleae let me know!

I'm pretty sure it can be worked around at least. Someone's working on
a rewrite of out PMU communication code, not sure when it will be ready
though.

So, if you can please build a kernel without
abtn*	at adb?
and see if that helps. If you can't build a kernel please let me know
and I'll build one for you.

thanks for testing the CD

have fun
Michael