Subject: Re: SCSI RAID
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeff Tupholme <jeff@makemyshow.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/31/2006 19:35:59
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the quick response.

On 31 Aug 2006, at 7:26pm, Chris Tribo wrote:

>> My ideal scenario would be to create a RAID using an ATTO Ultra2 card
>> that I have spare, but I suspect that the card is not supported
>> (Linux uses the sym-2.1.17a driver for it I believe) and that there
>> are issues with the macppc port and RAID anyway. I don't see
>> RAIDframe being activated during the startup of another PM I have
>> just built using 3.0.1.
>
> We have a Symbios SCSI driver. What's the model number of the chip?
> Did you follow the setup instructions in the NetBSD guide for setting
> up the RAIDframe? Remember it's partition c and not d for whole disk
> on macppc. It's possible the macppc kernel config file is out of sync
> with reality WRT what is needed for autoconfigured RAIDframe. Maybe
> cross reference it with an i386 GENERIC kernel config?

I'll be able to check the model number tomorrow when I'm physically
with the machine. I haven't actually tried anything yet, I'm just
developing a plan of action and I'd read some stuff about RAID support
in the macppc kernel being behind other ports.

I'm afraid kernel config is further than I've gone before. I'm happy
with the normal stuff of configuring and building from source. Are you
saying that I should be able to configure RAIDframe even if the kernel
doesn't report on it during startup?

>> Just wondered if anyone is successfully and reliably using a RAID
>> with macppc (possibly with an Adaptec card?) or whether it's a lost
>> cause for the time being!
>
> There's no SCSI hardware RAID solution for any powermac period AFAIK.
> Do you mean Adaptec/LSI/AMI hardware RAID, or just using an Adaptec
> SCSI card? The former is definitely impossible and the latter *should*
> work now that some of the driver bugs have been hammered out.

Definitely software RAID! I meant just using a single Adaptec card with
multiple drives, as I'd seen Adapatec mentioned on the supported
devices page on the Web site. From what you're saying, it sounds
promising...

Thanks,

Jeff