Subject: Re: G4 Cube and HDD larger than 128GB
To: Andr? Schulze <andre.schulze@gmail.com>
From: Jonathan A. Kollasch <jakllsch@kollasch.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/12/2006 01:43:35
--y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 09:22:34PM +0200, Andr? Schulze wrote:
> Hello list,
>=20
> i am considering getting a G4 Cube but found out that there are problems
> with drives larger than 128GB. But i read that there is a 3rd party
> driver for Mac OS X that is able to access the whole space. Therefore
> i suspect that there must exist a possible workaround for other operating
> systems like NetBSD, too.
>=20
> So my questions are:
> 1. Does this G4 Cube 128GB barrier exist in NetBSD also?
=20
That depends on where LBA48 is implemented.  If it's at the
controller level, I don't know what could be done.  If it's
a driver issue then NetBSD (since at least 1.6.2) should
not have a problem.

My Googleing and grepping seems to indicate that it's
likely a driver issue.

> 2. If yes are there any workarounds?
>=20
> 3. If there is no solution for internal drives, what is the state of
>    external firewire drives?

While I've never tried FireWire on NetBSD, I hear it's only now getting
near usable.

>=20
> Thank you,
>=20