Subject: Re: LSI Megaraid 150-4
To: Mityok <mgmttu@mail.ru>
From: Chris Tribo <ctribo@dtcc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/06/2006 21:59:45
Mityok wrote:
> Hi, guys
>  Does anybody tried LSI MegaRAID 150-4 under NetBSD (any version) with
>  G4 (Gigabit Ethernet). If it works or not?

I highly doubt it. The card needs an x86 boot ROM to configure the
hardware and load the controller kernel. There's no AMR/LSI card with an
OpenFirmware driver to my knowledge. Not to mention the fact that they
are horrible piles of trash. With a pair of U160 SCSI HDs in a mirror,
it would only do 38 MB/sec. The drives can do almost double that
transfer rate. Using software RAID (raidframe) would be easier and faster.

>  I looked on the supported hardware list and did not find the
>  controller there (though OpenBSD has it on the list).
>  Don't want to use OpenBSD as I tried Net on my Beige G3 with Promise
>  Ultra ATA 66 and fully satisfied so far.

Just hang a bunch of drives off of that and set up a software RAID.