Subject: Re: Adaptec 4 port ethernet not working
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeff Walther <trag@io.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/07/2006 23:03:43
At 20:34 -0500 07/07/2006, Jonathan A. Kollasch wrote:
>On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 04:30:00PM -0700, John Klos wrote:

>>  I'm trying to get a 4 port Adaptec AN-6944A/TX ethernet card working on a
>>  macppc machine (which is a Motorola Starmax). In dmesg I see:

>Something (hardware, firmware, kernel) is not handling the PCI bus
>properly.

The x500 series of Macintoshes, which are different models but same
generation as the StarMax, have a definite firmware bug with regard
to properly handling PCI-PCI Bridges.

That's the 7500 through the 9600 and related clones.   The symptom in
those cases is that PPBs more than one layer deep cause hangs during
initialization.  There are several details and exceptions, but that's
the gist.   It seems likely that the Starmax would have related
bug(s).

How do I know it isn't hardware?   Well, the problem could be in
Bandit (CPU bus--PCI bridge), I suppose (but PPB hierarchies should
be handled in firmware or software,  not in hardware).   However, it
definitely isn't the PPB.   I  know this because I replaced the DEC
21052 in the Umax S900 (Mac Clone) with four different pin compatible
PPB chips (desoldered and soldered-in 160 pin QFPs) without the
symptoms changing.

It wasn't an OS issue because the hang occurs before anything has
loaded from disk.   It's purely a firmware driven issue.

So I would wager that the issue in this same-generation machine is a
firmware issue.

The ROM revision in the x500 machines and clones is $77D.28F2.

Jeff Walther