Subject: Re: Cannot boot from hard drive
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Marco <marcotrillo@gmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/05/2006 12:42:59
Hi,

Use pdisk from the installation CD to create the bootstrap partition (
and the NetBSD partitions ).

See this document:
http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/partitioning.html#pdisk
for an overview of using pdisk.

In example ( for a 50MB size ) :

Command (? for help): C
  First block: 2p
  Length in blocks: 50m
  Name of partition: boot
  Type of partition: Apple_HFS
  Command (? for help):

The first time you boot into NetBSD after installing you should use
the "ofwboot.xcf" which comes with the CD:

0> boot cd:,\macppc\ofwboot.xcf hd:3,/netbsd

Then you need to install the "hfsutils" to format the partition.
They're available in NetBSD pkgsrc & packages.

Find the HFS partition:
# disklabel wd0

Format the HFS partition
# hformat /dev/wd0X

Mount the HFS partition
# hmount /dev/wd0X

Copy the ofwboot.xcf file:
# hcopy ofwboot.xcf :

Unmount the HFS partition
# humount /dev/wd0X

Then you can boot from the HD with a command like this:

0> boot hd:2,ofwboot.xcf hd:3,/netbsd

If you want to auto-boot NetBSD :

0> setenv boot-device hd:2,\ofwboot.xcf
0> setenv boot-file hd:3,/netbsd
0> setenv boot-command " screen" output boot
0> setenv auto-boot? true
0> reset-all

Hope it helps.

- Marco