Subject: Re: Cannot boot from hard drive
To: Marco <marcotrillo@gmail.com>
From: Iain Dooley <iain@iaindooley.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/05/2006 09:28:10
hello again,

On Sun, 2 Jul 2006, Marco wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If you want to be able to boot from the hard drive you need to create
> a small bootstrap partition to host the `ofwboot.xcf' file.
> That partition need to be on a file system that OpenFirmware
> understands; such as HFS, HFS+, etc (not FFS).
>
> If you have Mac OS installed, you can use the Mac OS partition.

i have already installed NetBSD on the hard drive, now when i try to boot
without open firmware, i just get a flashing question mark icon.

reading this section of the install guide (which i apparently completely
disregarded the first time through :-S !!):

http://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-3-0/200605220000Z/macppc/INSTALL.html#Partitioning%20your%20hard%20drive%20for%20NetBSD

i see that i am able to create these partitions using pdisk. i presume i'm
able to do this by booting into the shell from the cd.

i gave it a go, but was a big confused. i deleted existing partitions and
tried to make a new one at base 4, 200 blocks long (200 blocks being
100x1024/512 for the HFS partition) but it told me that the partition was
not big enough, however it is some 30,000 blocks long.

can anyone tell me the set of commands to use to create these partitions
and copy ofwboot.xcf in there from the cd?

cheers

iain